Can The Body Become Tolerent To Large Amounts Of Paracetamol ?

Can the human body build up a tolerence to paracetamol, especially large amounts of it. Maybe after someone has taken a lot of overdoses in a row of it ?.

3 thoughts to “Can The Body Become Tolerent To Large Amounts Of Paracetamol ?”

  1. Its a slow and painful death. The drug is unable to be processed by the kidneys/liver successfully, so the organs fail and there is nothing that can save you.

  2. Paracetamol is metabolized in the liver. When taken in large doses above the normal limits, the liver enzymes metabolize the drug to produce a toxic metabolite called NAPQI. This is toxic to the liver cells in every circumstances. This would then lead to liver failure.

  3. Tolerance does not develop. An acute overdose requires a large dose not available in UK (since you call it “paracetamol” instead of “acetaminophen” I’m guessing you’re in UK), and the amount you can buy is restricted to one that may not cause acute liver toxicity, but repetitive lower-level overdoses can still cause liver damage.

Leave a Reply